Xtreme Tennis News

Dr. Ivo Greatest of All Time

Spread rumors and talk about your favorite and least favorite players

Moderators: mimi, funches, ccm, Kevin, mariam, consafos, srockter, louise, ChrisM

Postby ccm on Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:36 am

Kevin wrote:Roddick must secretly be happy with Karlo's inability to win here despite the serve, Roddick thinking, "That'll shut some people up who say I've got a big serve and little else."

ha, but i don't really think anyone outside this thread is thinking much less talking about dr ivo. maybe hewitt has a few nightmares, but that's about it.
ccm

Postby mariam on Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:14 am

ccm wrote:ha, but i don't really think anyone outside this thread is thinking much less talking about dr ivo. maybe hewitt has a few nightmares, but that's about it.

that's where you're wrong, they talked about his "shocking" loss to santoro quite a bit on espn today, and cahill said that BG thinks ivo is headed for top 10...*sigh*
Q: If you had your own cologne, what would it be called?
Tursunov: That would depend on the smell. For a strong and woodsy fragrance, The Communist. For a light and lemony fragrance, The Traitor.
mariam

Postby ccm on Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:23 am

oh, in that case i like being wrong. (but i suspect cahill is just trying to discredit one of tennis's other "supercoaches" by undermining beeg's credibility. he's probably behind peter lundgren's fall from grace as well; ol' "killer" no doubt slipped him a mickey that gave peter-peter-super-eater the slush mouth that got him fired. it's always the quiet ones. . . )
ccm

Postby ChrisM on Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:39 am

lol!

As for Santoro though, he's beaten Arthurs in Wimby's 1st round before, so clearly he doesn't mind playing the big serve on grass.
ChrisM

Location: It will take more than bellyfire to be the next Baryshnikov

Postby louise on Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:55 am

thanks for the laugh of the day, ccm.
louise

Postby mariam on Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:21 pm

ccm wrote:oh, in that case i like being wrong. (but i suspect cahill is just trying to discredit one of tennis's other "supercoaches" by undermining beeg's credibility. he's probably behind peter lundgren's fall from grace as well; ol' "killer" no doubt slipped him a mickey that gave peter-peter-super-eater the slush mouth that got him fired. it's always the quiet ones. . . )

Interesting theory, although I'd imagine Petah's problems have more to do with his past (ie, Peter Lundgren, Marat Safin's ex-coach) than a plotting colleague...Either way, I hope Cahill remains jobless as long as possible; he's doing an awesome job for ESPN and almost negating the other dolts. Almost being the operative word there of course....
Q: If you had your own cologne, what would it be called?
Tursunov: That would depend on the smell. For a strong and woodsy fragrance, The Communist. For a light and lemony fragrance, The Traitor.
mariam

Postby louise on Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:24 pm

am in full agreement about cahill, mariam. even having purchased the website access, i recorded the espn coverage just for cahill's commentary.
louise

Postby mimi on Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:56 pm

agreed. I like Cahill.

ccm-lol with the coaches comment.

I was thinking: isn't it interesting that Safin is the one who was always criticized for partying and living in excess etc... and now his former coach might have a drinking problem? As Elton John, a major tennis fan would sing, it's "the circle of life" I guess...
mimi

Postby funches on Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:49 pm

I like Cahill, but not as much as the rest of you. His comments are mundane at times ("Nadal is a much-improved grass court player"; "Roddick is dangerous in tiebreakers because of his big serve.") and he doesn't like to make predictions.

That's better than having Gilbert spew ridiculous predictions that are more grabs for attention than honest commentary, but it irritates me when they're going over a draw during a rain delay and Killer says, "that's a tough section, several players can win it" without elaborating. How about explaining why Djokovic or Baghdatis or Davydenko (incredibly, he warned us not to count out Davy-boy the other day) can or cannot advance deep into the tournament?
funches

Postby Kevin on Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:08 pm

funches wrote:but it irritates me when they're going over a draw during a rain delay and Killer says, "that's a tough section, several players can win it" without elaborating. How about explaining why Djokovic or Baghdatis or Davydenko (incredibly, he warned us not to count out Davy-boy the other day) can or cannot advance deep into the tournament?

Hey Funch (see, I'm reading all your posts),

This has been a pet peeve of mine ever since I took a critical thinking class in university. The prof pointed out that people have a tendency to give their opinions about everything, but they explain their reasoning about nothing. People rarely feel a need to explain the reasoning behind their beliefs, as if just having an opinion is valid, independent of the rationale for it.

"I think this, I feel that, I believe this. Who cares! Why should we give a damn WHAT you believe? Tell us WHY you believe it. What are your reasons? If you're going to tell us WHAT you think, you have an obligation to tell us WHY you think so" the prof would say.

p.s. I feel that Andy Roddick is the greatest tennis player ever. Just cuz. That's my opinion, it's a free country and I'm entitled to my own opinion, you have to respect it!!! (See how annoying that crap is?)
You're John Conner? I am looking for John Isner. He is a friend of mine, could I see him please?
Kevin

Location: You got soul, you got class, you got style, cuz you're badass

Postby Forehand_lob on Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:38 pm

I thought I'd give this thread a bump since Ivo got his third title this year, and I know how much everyone loves him!

The fact that he'll be seeded at the mostly likely at least two slams and given direct entrance to master's events is somewhat mind-boggling. Ah well, he really has nowhere to go but up in the Slams (and, yes, that's a horrible or sleep-inducing thought).
Forehand_lob

Postby funches on Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:53 pm

If Ivo were to somehow win Madrid, he would jump to No. 8 in the race and would be in line to qualify for Shanghai.

How scary is that?
funches

Slaying the Giants

Postby Raphael on Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:01 pm

I remember, my strategy against the tallest of players.

Hit at their feet,

Hit right at them

Wrong foot them

Hit drop shots and drop volleys

Use their size against them.

Also, many times they are not agile or quick.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
I had some success, but I was just a hack. So if real pros understand some of the above or other related strategies, this might explain why an extremely tall player (great serve, notwithstanding) has some inherent weaknessess.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Also, the US Open Juniors had a rather short fellow beat a very tall fellow in the finals. I watched some of it.

Guess it comes down to tennis being a game of skill; at least primarily. Of course abnormal size and strength can be a benefit when combined with the other requisite ingredients that make a great tennis player.
Raphael

Postby tennisontherocks on Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:23 am

funches wrote:If Ivo were to somehow win Madrid, he would jump to No. 8 in the race and would be in line to qualify for Shanghai.

How scary is that?

no worries. Kiefer beat him in two tiebreaks (big surprise!!). But Ivo has good chance to finish the year in top 20.
tennisontherocks

Doctor of What?

Postby Raphael on Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:36 pm

Dr. Ivo has a doctorate in what?

P.H.D. = pound it, hard, & deep?

No, really, he is not a doctor of anything is he?

Why are we calling him a doctor?
Raphael

PreviousNext

Return to Players