Xtreme Tennis News

Dr. Ivo Greatest of All Time

Spread rumors and talk about your favorite and least favorite players

Moderators: mimi, funches, ccm, Kevin, mariam, consafos, srockter, louise, ChrisM

Dr. Ivo Greatest of All Time

Postby funches on Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:54 pm

Ivo Karlovic has an unwatchable game that is unlike any other male pro yet falls into the stereotype the idiot public has of men's tennis – that it is all serve, no strategy.

It's time to give him official recognition for being so bad after the point starts that he still can't advance far in tournaments despite having the best first serve of all time. If he had more game, he would be killing the sport.

This one post might be the beginning AND the end of this thread. I will return to it only if:

A)Karlovic gets to the fourth round of Wimbledon.
B)He gets to the semifinals of Queens.
C)He wins two matches at any ATP-level tournament not on grass.
D)I'm really, really bored.
E)Consafos asks me.
F)I ignore rules A through E.

Here's my ranking of the five best first serves

1)Karlovic
2)Ivanisevic
3)Sampras
4)Joakim Johansson
5)Philippoussis
funches

Postby consafos on Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:48 pm

Right on - now we're talking!

I guess this must mean the best first serves you've ever seen, right? Big Bill Tilden, its said by some, walked up to the service line with four balls and proceeded to serve four first serve aces. And I guess he did this on more than one occasion. Could be legend, but if true that has gotta be the best in history.
“Call me All-American, but I love Ham and Cheese sandwiches. And not just any old ham and cheese sandwich... My mother's is the best. I've tried many times to make these sandwiches on my own, but it's never the same.” ~ Donk
consafos

Postby mimi on Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:18 am

I thought I might as well list Karlovic's interesting record against the game's best players. While Karlovic has a 76-88 win-loss record, I think some of us will be surprised after examining some of his head-to-heads with the current top 30:

Opponent.....................Surfaces
-vs. Federer 0-2...........lost on clay, grass
-vs. Nadal 0-1.............carpet
-vs. Roddick 1-2..........lost outdoor hardcourt and grass, won indoor hard
-vs. Davydenko 1-2.....lost 2 outdoor hardcourts, won on clay
-vs. Gonzalez 1-0........won on grass
-vs. Djokovic 0-0
-vs. Ljubicic 1-0..........won on grass
-vs. Blake 2-1.............lost on outdoor hard, won on clay, outdoor hard
-vs. Robredo 2-0.........won on clay and outdoor hard
-vs. Haas 3-1..............won on green and twice red clay, lost outdoor hard
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
11-9 vs. top 10 players

-vs. Murray 0-1...........lost outdoor hardcourt
-vs. Berdych 0-0
-vs. Gasquet 0-1.........lost on clay but retired
-vs. Ferrer 0-0
-vs. Youhzny 0-0
-vs. Hewitt 2-0............won twice on grass
-vs. Ancic 1-1.............lost on indoor hard, won on carpet
....futures 1-1.............lost on clay, won on outdoor hard
-vs. Nalbandian 0-2........lost on carpet and indoor hard
-vs. Baghdatis 0-0
-vs. Ferrero 0-1..........lost on clay
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
4-7 vs. players ranked #11-20

-vs. Chela 1-1............lost on clay, won on outdoor hard
-vs. Canas 0-1...........lost on outdoor hard
-vs. Nieminen 0-0
-vs. Tursunov 0-3......lost on clay, carpet, outdoor hard
-vs. Safin 0-1............lost on outdoor hard
-vs. Moya 0-3............lost on outdoor hard twice and clay
-vs. Hrbaty 2-1..........lost on clay, won on indoor hard and carpet
-vs. Soderling 1-1......lost on outdoor hard, won on outdoor hard
-vs. Calleri 0-0
-vs. Melzer 0-3..........lost on outdoor hard twice, and lost on clay
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
4-14 vs. players ranked #21-30

total wins-losses vs. top 30 players:
19-30

interesting how he's more successful against the top 10...
mimi

Postby louise on Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:27 am

made a comment, but changed it, so, nevermind ...
louise

Postby funches on Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:03 am

Nice numbers, mimi.

By those stats, Karlovic is 14-27 against the top 30 away from grass and 5-3 on grass. He's dangerous against anyone on grass. Away from grass, he has most of his success against headcases, but the record is still better than I would have guessed.
funches

Postby consafos on Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:11 am

"I have finally made it. My own web site. I wonder why they call it "Tennis-X".? Anyway, I don't mind. Finally I have a fan club that my mom isn't the president of! I knew this hard work would pay off. All that serving, man my shoulder is killing me. Thank god for the thoughtless like Blake, Haas and Roddick. Without those guys no one would notice me. I wonder who this "funches" is. I should write him. Or send him an autographed wrist band. Wait, maybe its a woman? Maybe a handsome picture of me practicing my big hard powerful first serve with my shirt off?! But maybe she doesn't like me in that way and that could drive her away. If she is even a she. The internet is so tricky. You just never know. One time I was chatting with someone claiming to be a woman from Prague and we really were hitting it off and so we decided to meet at the Prague challenger (where I lost in the first round to some 17 year old kid) and when "she" came to my room, well, never mind about that..."
“Call me All-American, but I love Ham and Cheese sandwiches. And not just any old ham and cheese sandwich... My mother's is the best. I've tried many times to make these sandwiches on my own, but it's never the same.” ~ Donk
consafos

Postby funches on Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:26 pm

consafos wrote:Image

One time I was chatting with someone claiming to be a woman from Prague and we really were hitting it off and so we decided to meet at the Prague challenger (where I lost in the first round to some 17 year old kid) and when "she" came to my room, well, never mind about that..."

Don't tell Ivo, but I was that "woman." Until I became a woman pretending to be a man.

It's all so confusing.
funches

Postby consafos on Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:29 pm

^^^

I think mariam is finally convinced that you are *not* a woman. I put that in there for her. But she's been MIA lately. Anyway, this Dr Ivo thread rocks.
consafos

"I got a fever. And the only prescription is more Karlo

Postby sticksman79 on Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:07 am

The Doc has Hewitt's number sorta, so how can anyone say he can't play after the first service point. At some point in every set he has to break. He actually has good volleys and a good forehand. I most of the season was on grass he'd be top 20.

"I got a fever. And the only prescription is more Karlovic!"
sticksman79

Re: "I got a fever. And the only prescription is more K

Postby consafos on Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:11 pm

sticksman79 wrote:...most of the season was on grass he'd be top 20.

Really? Has he ever made it to the 2nd week at Wimby?
consafos

Re: "I got a fever. And the only prescription is more K

Postby funches on Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:19 pm

consafos wrote:
sticksman79 wrote:...most of the season was on grass he'd be top 20.

Really? Has he ever made it to the 2nd week at Wimby?

The year after he beat Hewitt, he lost to Federer in the fourth round. But he struggles in best-of-five set formats because he's not in good shape. He's been very tough to beat at Queen's when he's healthy.
funches

Postby consafos on Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:00 pm

Out in Rd 1 at Wimby. I guess the serve wasn't enough against the little wizzard Santoro.
consafos

Postby funches on Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:45 pm

Yep, he can't serve at the same level for five sets that he does for three, which is weird because just about every other big server has no problem going to 15-13 in the fifth set.

Santoro, one of my five favorite players to watch, beats one of my five least favorite players. Now that's a sweet win.
funches

Postby Ashe on Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:35 am

Santoro pulls a rabbit from his hat and beats Dr. Ivo in 5, thus ruining my quarter-final pick!
Ashe

Postby Kevin on Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:36 am

Roddick must secretly be happy with Karlo's inability to win here despite the serve, Roddick thinking, "That'll shut some people up who say I've got a big serve and little else."
You're John Conner? I am looking for John Isner. He is a friend of mine, could I see him please?
Kevin

Location: You got soul, you got class, you got style, cuz you're badass

Next

Return to Players