Xtreme Tennis News

Australian Open 2013 contest - It's moved to another board

The latest on events

Moderators: mimi, funches, ccm, Kevin, mariam, consafos, srockter, louise, ChrisM

Re: Australian Open 2012 contest - If you ever see me walking...

Postby funches on Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:02 am

qualopec wrote:Hi, i'm new here! Hope you don't mind me joining the party, i love tennis and couldn't resist !!
Good luck to everyone, including the guys who do all the work (the tennis players).

Welcome, qualopec, and feel free to post frequently. We used to have a thriving board here but have lost most of our posters. Hopefully that will change.
funches

Postby Forehand_lob on Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:42 am

Hi, qualopec! Sorry I didn't see your post, there are things involved with new posters. Welcome to the board! I'll update the standings post to take your picks into account.

Serena is out, which makes me wonder if she's ever going to win a slam again. Nishikori's win kept me from getting all 8 QFs for the first time ever in the contest. Alas.
Forehand_lob

Postby Forehand_lob on Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:33 am

With Djokovic beating Hewitt (HoB, you didn't jinx him, but you got Serena!), the QFs are set. An update for the contest:

Forehand_lob
Correct men's QFs: 7
Correct women's QFs: 4

funches
Correct men's QFs: 6
Correct women's QFs: 5

louise
Correct men's QFs: 4

qualopec
Correct men's QFs: 4

HoB
Correct men's QFs: 7
Correct women's QFs: 3

We got 7 of the men's quarterfinalists and 6 of the women's quarterfinalists. We missed Nishikori, Makarova, and Errani. I don't think anyone can really blame us for those.

As the board's leading Sharapovapoligist*, I picked up WTF points by choosing her. I don't blame anyone for not choosing her, she came in with injuries and has a game riddled with vulnerabilities. It's also not like I wasn't taking an easy out by choosing her as a sub.

I hadn't really thought of this until I was watching her last night, but anyone else think Kvitova and Mary Pierce look a lot alike?

* - No, I am not Mary Joe Fernandez.
Forehand_lob

Postby Forehand_lob on Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:18 pm

Forehand_lob wrote:I hadn't really thought of this until I was watching her last night, but anyone else think Kvitova and Mary Pierce look a lot alike?

In case anyone thinks I am crazy, this is what I mean:

Forehand_lob

Postby Forehand_lob on Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:03 pm

Hmmm, maybe I should have found a picture that wasn't looking down Kvitova's top. Alas.

I saw Clijsters v. Wozniacki last night. Not a great match for Clijsters at the end, but she managed to be steady enough to win it in the tiebreaker. For a while there, Wozniacki could not make a first serve in that first set. For someone whose game is based on steadiness, having 26 ufes to 13 winners is pretty awful (not that Clijsters was great with 40 ufes to 39 winners).

If Wozniacki is going to rush the net, she needs to learn when to do it. Much of the time she did it last night reminded me of when Roddick would do it off of bone-headed shots and get passed.

I think Chris Evert takes complaints about Wozniacki's style and thinks they're somehow aimed at her. So, she piles on instead of trying to maintain some distance on it. My favorite was her saying that Wozniacki needs to add a flat serve to her arsenal and when Dick Enberg said that people said the same thing about her, she practically jumped down his throat. The "I had that serve in practice; you might not have seen it in my matches, but I had it" sounded a tad too defensive. Alas, why did ESPN let Tennis Channel get Martina? She'd have made the same criticisms, but without taking it personally. And, why oh why, haven't they tried to get Hingis to do commentary? I'm sure all the players would hate it, but it would be very entertaining to hear.
Forehand_lob

Postby Forehand_lob on Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:42 am

Our Ugliest Winners are: Nishikori for the men (losing 64 games in the first 4 rounds) and Clijsters for the women (losing 28).

Berdych and Makarova were next with 60 and 25 respectively, while the cleanest players were Djokovic and Azarenka with 23 and 12 lost games.

Our semis count:

Forehand_lob
Men's SF: 2
Women's SF: 4

funches
Men's SF: 3
Women's SF: 3

louise
Women's SF: 2

qualopec
Men's SF: 4
Women's SF: 1

HoB
Women's SF: 3
Forehand_lob

Postby Forehand_lob on Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:27 pm

I thought Kvitova was going to lose at least a set to Errani last night. Rattling off 4 games straight saved her from that. From the on court interview, is she really dating a junior player? Or was that just the interviewer being funny?

Sharapova v. Makarova was awful to watch. Not a contest, and Sharapova was just inconsistent enough to prevent me from admiring the beatdown.

Chris Evert is trying (and succeeding to my mind) in taking the "worst commentator on ESPN" award away from Pammy.
Forehand_lob

Postby funches on Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:37 am

Evert is awful. Banal, empty-headed and just plain wrong in her analysis most of the time.

Still like her more than Pammy because her voice is easy on the ears.
funches

Postby di-10S on Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:26 pm

Wow the rarely seen Federer twins, that's a total Roger face!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic ... Nadal.html
You all might need to be sitting down for this. Trust me.
GOLD: di-10S 208.5
SILVER: HoB 207
SPECIAL SILVER: funches 164.5
SPECIAL GOLD: Forehand_lob 145.5
di-10S

Postby Forehand_lob on Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:54 am

Good to see you posting again, Di.

Now that our finals are set, I have the last update, and I'm going to give out all the rounds. When noted, there's the potential for some further champion points.

F_lob
Men's QF (set): 7
Men's SF (set): 2
Men's F (set): 0
Men's Champ (set): 0
Women's QF (set): 4
Women's SF (set): 4
Women's F (set): 1
Women's Champ (set): 0

funches
Men's QF (set): 6
Men's SF (set): 3
Men's F (set): 1
Men's Champ (possible): 1
Women's QF (set): 5
Women's SF (set): 3
Women's Champ (possible): 1

louise
Men's QF (set): 4
Women's SF (set): 2

qualopec
Men's QF (set): 4
Men's SF (set): 4
Women's SF (set): 1
Women's F (set): 0

HoB
Men's QF (set): 7
Men's Champ (possible): 1
Women's QF (set): 3
Women's SF (set): 3

funches still has both champions alive, and HoB has the men's champion alive. The rest of us crashed out.
Forehand_lob

Postby funches on Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:22 pm

I'm almost positive Djokovic will beat Nadal even though he came awfully close to losing to Murray. If Murray had taken one of his three break points to go up 6-5 in the 5th and then served it out, he would have had almost no chance to beat Rafa because the Djoker took away his legs.

Djokovic, though, appears indestructible physically now. He'll be fine Sunday, and since he does everything better than Rafa (serve, return, backhand, forehand, move), he really can't lose to him unless he has a dreadful day.

I like Azarenka's chances to beat Sharapova, but that one is closer. The key is Azarenka's serve. If Sharapova can't win the points outright with her return or on her second shot, the clear edge goes to Azarenka.
funches

Postby HoB on Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:22 am

Women's final was a dud. And every report is more about the shrieking than about the tennis. 5th different winner in 5 slams, and 4th first-time winner in 4 slams. From the four, I think only Kvitova and Azarenka have the game to challenge for more slams. Despite liking Azarenka's game, my ears prefer Kvitova (and yes, f_lo, she does have a striking resemblance to Pierce. On pictures at least, movement and on court demeanor are quite different).

Men's final is underway. I also thought that Djokovic would win this one, although the edge I give him is less than funches' prediction. Nadal better had to win this or at least make it very close, because otherwise there's no "rivalry" to speak off. Rafa just took the first set 7-5, by playing aggressive and serving effectively. Djokovic looks quite unhappy though and is not doing well on serve (50% 1st serves in, less than 60% of 1st serves won). Even then, Nadal is barely keeping ahead. This match is far from over, if Djokovic finds his range Nadal will have a very hard time.
HoB

Postby di-10S on Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:27 pm

Even knowing who won its still exciting to watch.
The comical part is hearing the crickets during the serve. :)
You all might need to be sitting down for this. Trust me.
GOLD: di-10S 208.5
SILVER: HoB 207
SPECIAL SILVER: funches 164.5
SPECIAL GOLD: Forehand_lob 145.5
di-10S

Postby funches on Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:45 pm

I really wish Djokovic had finished Nadal off in four because then I would have felt better about being right.

After he tossed away the fourth set with three unforced errors in the last four points of the tiebreak, Djokovic was lucky to win. If Nadal makes that easy pass on the pop-up volley that he missed by a couple of inches, he's up 4-2, 40-15 and probably wins 6-2. But he missed it, choked with two more errors and was essentially done after the Djoker got the break back. Suddenly, Djokovic's dead legs became active again, and he did what he does most of the time against Nadal - simply outhit him and outmaneuver him.

I still think Djokovic is the most complete tennis player ever and will be No. 1 for a long time, but at some point, his recent good fortune will run out. If Federer had bombed in an unreturnable serve when he had match points at the U.S. Open, Djokovic would still be searching for his first title in Queens. If Murray had converted one of his three break points at 5-5 in the Aussie Open semis, there's a good chance he would have won. If Nadal had made a forehand he makes 95 percent of the time, he probably would have won.

They say fortune favors the brave, but Djokovic has been cutting it too close.
funches

Postby Forehand_lob on Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:25 pm

It wasn't quite the blowout that the women's final was, but we have a clear winner.

GOLD: funches 224.5 points
SILVER: Forehand_lob 213.5 points
BOTH BRONZES: HoB 195 points
SPECIAL SILVER: qualopec 159 points
SPECIAL GOLD: louise 154 points

Despite getting both champions right, it wasn't set because I managed to clean up on bonus points with a WTF (Sharapova) and a Biggest Loser (Fish). I needed Sharapova to win, and I'm not sure anyone wants to owe their win to her.

Congratulations on the win, funches! And welcome, qualopec! You got a medal your first time out!
Forehand_lob

PreviousNext

Return to Tournaments