Thanks to field limitations, the true title of the contest should be: Australian Open 2012 contest - If you ever see me walking down the hall look the other way.
Coming up with a witty title is one of the hardest things about running the contest and Serena named the contests for this year. So, if Serena comes and enters, she will get a whopping 50 bonus points. That would be one way to get a second Serena slam. It'd be a golden slam too, since I'm planning on running this for the Olympics too.
1. Pick quarterfinalists, semifinalists, finalists, and champions for both ATP and WTA draws. You will receive 7.5 points for each correct quarterfinalist, 5 points for each correct semifinalist and finalist, and 20 points for each correct champion. (The "I Have Monogrammed Shorts" rule is in effect; picking Djokovic as champ will only get you 10 points if he wins).
2. SUBSTITUTE PICK: Pick a player from each draw to replace one of your quarterfinalists. If this player makes the quarters, they will take the place of whomever you picked in that section of the draw
3. BIGGEST LOSER: pick the highest seed that will lose in the earliest round from each draw. The player must be a top-16 seed. You get 5 points if your seed is the highest to lose and 2 points if your seed falls in the same round as the highest seed to lose.
4. WINNING UGLY: Pick a player in each draw. If that player was the quarterfinalist who lost the most games en route to the QFs (i.e. within rounds 1-4), you get 5 points. If that player did not lose the most games but lost more games than anyone picked, you get 2 points.
1. DOUBLES ARE AN IMPORTANT PART OF THE GAME: Pick the winner of the men's, women's, and mixed doubles events (the draws for these are usually posted later, so you may amend your original post to include these). A correct pick will get you 5 bonus points for the men's and women's pick and 3 bonus points for the mixed. Picking the non-winning finals team will get you 2 points for the men's and women's and 1 point for the mixed.
2. AUSSIE KIM VS. NEW YORK SAM: Who will lose less games at the AO, hometown girl Sam Stosur or I-dated-Lleyton Kim Clijsters? Pick one and the correct choice will get you 2 bonus points.
***Unseeded quarterfinalists are worth an extra half point for every seed they take out en route.
***WTF bonus: if you have a pick that makes it to the quarterfinals that no one else made (not even as a substitute pick), you'll gain an extra 5 points for it.
It should be before play starts, but I'm flexible so long as not that much of the tournament has already happened. When in doubt, post your picks! Doubles draws are also decided later, so just make a post about those when they're out.
They'll be up later in the week, but here's the address for them:
Men's singleshttp://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/sco ... index.html
Women's singleshttp://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/sco ... index.html
Men's doubleshttp://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/sco ... index.html
Women's doubleshttp://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/sco ... index.html
Mixed doubleshttp://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/sco ... index.html
PS - what happened to baked goods, I hear you ask. Well, they are a pain to do, and I'm simplifying things so I can get the results up earlier and with less stress.