Xtreme Tennis News

2011 year-ending tennis

The latest on events

Moderators: mimi, funches, ccm, Kevin, mariam, consafos, srockter, louise, ChrisM

Re: 2011 year-ending tennis

Postby Forehand_lob on Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:45 pm

The women's finals:

Red group: Azarenka, Serena, Kerber, Li
White group: Sharapova, Kvitova, Radwanska, Errani

My predictions:
Red group #1: Serena
Red group #2: Li
White group #1: Sharapova
White group #2: Kvitova

Kvitova d. Serena
Sharapova d. Li

Sharapova d. Kvitova

You heard it here first!
Forehand_lob

Postby funches on Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:27 pm

My picks

Red 1: Azarenka
Red 2: Serena

White 1: Kvitova
White 2: Radwanska

Serena d. Kvitova
Azarenka d. Radwanska

Serena d. Azarenka

You heard it here second.

By the way, you were right, F_lob, about Rafa not playing the rest of the year after he skipped the U.S. Open. I was dead wrong, which brings me to the infuriating coverage of the race for London on the ATP website. They refuse to even acknowledge the possibility of Rafa not playing, which distorts the race for the final spot. It's conceivable that Gasquet or big servers like Isner and Raonic can catch No. 9, Tipsy. It's inconceivable that any of them will catch No. 8.
funches

Postby Forehand_lob on Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:32 pm

If Kvitova's losing in straight sets to Radwanska, then she's not making it out of the round robin section.

Also, we all love Youzhny, but Tomic should not be losing to him 6-0, 6-2. At this rate, Tomic's not going to make top 25 at all, unless he gets a spine transplant from Hewitt.
Forehand_lob

Postby Forehand_lob on Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:53 am

And now Kvitova withdrew with illness, so Stosur's replacing her.

Tipsy and Tsonga retired with injuries in Valencia, and Isner lost to Henin, I mean, Goffin. So, depending on how serious those injuries are, we could conceivably have a couple of those candidates in the WTFs you mentioned, funches.

EDIT: And Raonic goes and loses to Mueller. Now's the time for Gasquet and Almagro to make a push.
Forehand_lob

Postby funches on Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:27 pm

I just went back and checked my year-end ATP top 10 predictions from the outer board predictions thread at the start of the year, having no idea what I'd picked, and it's looking pretty good.

1)Novak Djokovic

2)Roger Federer

3)Andy Murray

4)Rafael Nadal

5)Jo-Wilfried Tsonga

6)Juan Martin del Potro

7)David Ferrer

8)Tomas Berdych

9)Janko Tipsarevic

10)Andy Roddick

The first four will be exactly right. Five through 8 are the right guys in the wrong order, and No. 9 most likely will be exactly right. I was a little off on No. 10.

That list would absolutely, positively be the contest winner, except for one little detail: I missed the deadline.
funches

Postby Forehand_lob on Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:39 am

They might let you in funches. I looked at mine and saw that I would likely have 7 correct, which is unusually high for me.

Serena and Sharapova are 3-0 in their groups, so they can only meet in the final. Li vs. Azarenka and Radwanska v. Errani for the last spots in the semis.

We've overlooked him, but Cilic could make a push for the WTFs. Gasquet and Almagro are in a better position for it, but if Tsonga and Tipsy pull out, they could go pretty deep into the alternate list.
Forehand_lob

Postby funches on Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:21 pm

Serena continued her incredible year by cruising past Sharapova, who had played her best match of the year in the semis to clobber Azarenka.

From Wimbledon on, Serena has finally asserted herself as a candidate for greatest player ever. I always resisted that talk because of A) her inconsistency, B) her lack of playing and C) the number of times she lost to in-form players when she was playing at the top of her game going into the match, something American journalists and commentator refuse to believe. Henin took her down at Wimbledon and the U.S. Open in the same year. Clijsters was on the verge of taking her down at the U.S. Open when she got defaulted. Even Stosur got her last year.

But with her serving display at Wimbledon (the greatest ever), her all-around play at the Olympics (maybe the greatest ever) and her dominance at the U.S. Open and the year-end event, she has reached her full potential. Let's see what she does to back it up next year. A second Roland Garros title is essential for her credentials.

Gasquet is the only player behind Tipsy who can crash the ATP World Tour final without reaching the final of Paris, hence, he is the only player with a chance of passing Tipsy. It would require him reaching the semis (and having to beat Federer in the quarters) while Tipsy loses in the second round, most likely to Dolgopolov. It's a long shot at best, but not totally impossible, although I'm not sure the Dog man has ever won consecutive matches at a tournament the week after he reaches a final. He's the classic head case who can go a month without winning a match, then crush a bunch of decent to good players on his way to a final, then go another month without winning a match.
funches

Postby Forehand_lob on Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:56 pm

I feel bad about it, but the inability to make new topics or PM people is making me jump ship. I've set up a board here:

http://tennistalk.boardhost.com/index.php

I hope to keep up the tradition of the board contests and, more importantly, the excellent quality of tennis discussion that we've had here.
Forehand_lob

Previous

Return to Tournaments