Xtreme Tennis News

Wozniacki and slams

Talk about women's tennis

Moderators: mimi, funches, ccm, Kevin, mariam, consafos, srockter, louise, ChrisM

Wozniacki and slams

Postby Forehand_lob on Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:45 pm

Now that Wozniacki has lost the number 1 spot, I have sympathy for her. She was #1 for 67 weeks, during which she did well at most non-Slam tournaments.

So, what would it take for her to win a slam? Frankly, some things like "suddenly be able to blast winners from anywhere" are unrealistic. She's not a power player.

Her strengths are consistency, movement, fitness, and anticipation. I think she has to take a page from Hingis's playbook and play with more finesse. I'm not going channel McEnroe and Navratilova by suggesting she should rush the net, but getting off the baseline and forcing the opponent to play her game, rather than continually getting the ball back until her opponent either wins the point or self-destructs doesn't work against the top players well enough. She also has to improve her mental strength, since her version of choking is reverting to passive play (see: Australian Open 2011 against Li Na).
Forehand_lob

Re: Wozniacki and slams

Postby Forehand_lob on Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:19 pm

Of course, I say these kind words and then Goerges beats her again. The Forehand_lob jinx is alive and well.
Forehand_lob

Return to WTA