Xtreme Tennis News

US women post 2010 US Open

Talk about women's tennis

Moderators: mimi, funches, ccm, Kevin, mariam, consafos, srockter, louise, ChrisM

US women post 2010 US Open

Postby Forehand_lob on Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:00 pm

There are 5 US women in the top 100 WTA rankings, Serena at 1, Venus at 3, Bethanie Knee-high Socks Mattek-Sands at 63, Melanie Oudin at 67, and Vania King at 76.

Incidentally, all women's doubles slams were won by a team with an American on it, Venus and Serena took the first two, and Vania King and Shvedova won the second two. So, yes, Vania King won as many slams this year as Venus Williams. I know that if anyone said that to me at the beginning of the year, I would have suggested laying off the drugs.

Outside of the Williams sisters, none of the other 3 won a singles title this year; Mattek-Sands won 1 doubles title and King won 4 doubles titles.

I suppose that I am wondering if in the post-Williams era of women's tennis, whether or not Vania King is actually the best prospect to watch. She's actually won a singles title on the WTA tour, unlike either of the other two.

I will now allow you all to tell me to lay off the drugs.
Forehand_lob

Re: US women post 2010 US Open

Postby tennisontherocks on Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:11 pm

Vania is a treat to watch on the doubles court...one of the quickest players out there and great hands. I am hoping that confidence from doubles can lead to better things on singles court. For starters, at least she can hope for more wild cards instead of slugging out in the qualies and challengers.

But I think Venus/Serena will be around for next 3-4 years and even longer. Even though they have been around so long, their sparse playing schedule will help them extend their careers beyond typical retirement age.
tennisontherocks

Return to WTA