Xtreme Tennis News

Clijsters may be coming back

Talk about women's tennis

Moderators: mimi, funches, ccm, Kevin, mariam, consafos, srockter, louise, ChrisM

Clijsters may be coming back

Postby Forehand_lob on Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:05 am

Cronin's site is reporting that she's training for exos later this year and seems to be planning on a comeback next year.
Forehand_lob

Re: Clijsters may be coming back

Postby tennisontherocks on Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:26 pm

I don't care much about Kimmy as we have enough of her clones hanging around (although they are not as nice as her). But on tennis.com, there were reports of Justine playing some exos. Now any hints of her comeback will get me excited.
tennisontherocks

Postby srockter on Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:22 pm

Yup, it's confirmed. She's gonna play in the WTT in St. Louis this summer.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news;_ylt=A ... &type=lgns

She's also playing in the one-off special event with Agass, Graf and Henman at Wimbledon in May.
"Love means nothing in tennis, but it's everything in life."
srockter

Postby JanSinnet on Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:53 pm

I'm surprised she is coming back. Will be nice to see.
JanSinnet

Postby srockter on Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:58 am

This just in- Clijsters asked for a US Open wild card. Wonder if it's true?

More details here: http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news;_ylt=A ... &type=lgns
"Love means nothing in tennis, but it's everything in life."
srockter

Postby Forehand_lob on Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:35 am

If it is, I'm not going to be fooled and pick her to win majors any more! Beat Ivanovic or Jankovic, sure, but not Serena or Sharapova.
Forehand_lob

Postby tennisontherocks on Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:23 pm

Based on examples of Hingis and Davenport, Kimmy will have a good start as she will be totally fresh and nothing to loose. But then inherent limitations in her game/personality will always prevent her from beating Serena, Venus or Maria. Still WTA could surely use a popular name right now.
tennisontherocks

Postby Forehand_lob on Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:11 am

You make an interesting point, TotR, it's unfortunate that you're completely wrong.

Her game is not particularly interesting, but I think it's better suited towards the current WTA than either Hingis's or Davenport's. Sharapova's injury puts her in question, and I think she turned the corner on Venus. Serena, I give you, but I wouldn't want to rely on her consistency.

And, it's official. Cincy, the Roger's Cup, and the US Open are on her schedule. Let's list her as a very dangerous floater until she proves otherwise (see: Indian Wells/Miami 2005).
Forehand_lob

Postby tennisontherocks on Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:53 am

yeah, Kimmy is better fit for today's game. But even in her prime, she struggled a lot with injuries, the serve was never really a big weapon and was prone to flaming out mentally. With the baby, I don't think she will play 20+ tourneys, so that should keep her healthy and fresh...so we could see a different Kimmy...
tennisontherocks

Postby Forehand_lob on Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:37 am

The good thing about TotR is that he knows when I'm just trying to provoke him and acts responsibly. The bad thing is this makes it less fun to do.

I suppose that Clijsters could always go to a Williams sister schedule. They're listed at 16 (Serena) and 14 (Venus) tournaments apiece for what their ranking is based off of. Oddly enough, I always thought Venus played more of the two.
Forehand_lob

Postby tennisontherocks on Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:11 pm

Forehand_lob, easiest way to provoke me is to throw lobs whole day on court....then you get f-bombs, icy stares, loud commons after each successful overhead (sadly that does not happen much...) and so on...so the verbal junk is relatively calming :)

I think the entire WTA might benefit from playing Williams sister schedule for 12-14 tourneys. I would rather see 10 tourneys/year with good competitive fields as opposed to year around choke fest.
tennisontherocks

Postby Forehand_lob on Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:19 pm

So my screen name is an act of psychological warfare! Good to know.

Looking at the early rounds of some of the WTA's tournaments, I have to wonder whether a sweat gets broken in a 6-1, 6-1 match. Hard to argue that top players playing 20 tournaments a year is rough on them given that 60+% of their matches may be ridiculously unbalanced like that.
Forehand_lob

Postby funches on Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:02 am

I expect Clijsters to be in the top five by the end of the year.

She's simply better than anyone on the tour other than the Williams sisters and, sadly, Sharapova when she's healthy and confident. Her lack of killer instinct and variety won't hurt her against the likes of Safina, Dementieva, Zvonareva, Azarenka, Ivanovic or Jankovic.

Now there's a chance I'll actually watch a women's match outside of a grand slam this year. I remember when I used to like women's tennis, but Hingis' cocaine retirement and Henin's burnout retirement killed my waning interest.

Clijsters is fun to watch, less for her game than her shockingly good athletic ability in a nondescript body. I'm assuming she can still do the splits every time she runs wide.
funches

Return to WTA