Xtreme Tennis News

What's up with Davydenko?

Talk about men's tennis

Moderators: mimi, funches, ccm, Kevin, mariam, consafos, srockter, louise, ChrisM

What's up with Davydenko?

Postby gunlomboy on Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:52 am

He's under investigation for match fixing and he's still playing like he's match fixing.

Nobody wins the first set against a bozo like Cilic, then self-destructs when the in-play odds are sky-high against Cilic.

Any thoughts?
gunlomboy

Real proof vs. suspected match tanking

Postby Raphael on Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:59 am

The issue is of

Real proof

vs.

Suspected match tanking.

What ^^^ has been suggested (again) is that a player is suspected of match tanking.

However, real proof is needed to hold a player accountable.

So far as I know, there is no real proof, just suspicious behaviour.

So in the meantime, I think we should give Nikolai Davydenko, the benefit of the doubt (presumed innocent).
Raphael

Postby gunlomboy on Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:18 pm

Agreed, real proof is needed.

Maybe as with Russian football (soccer) the real investigation needs to focus on the people who are putting the pressure on the players.

It still looks a bit fishy to me ..... if he's sick or injured he should pull out of the match, but then that would void all bets.
gunlomboy

Postby funches on Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:59 pm

In truth, Davydenko is not having a very good year despite his ranking. He's made the final of only one tournament despite entering 30, but he seems to save his best for the Slams, keeping him in the top five because no one other than the top three has done anything significant this year.
funches

Postby gunlomboy on Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:04 am

After todays fine, I think it's becoming clear what the ATP think as well.

Davydenko is walking a fine line, I believe he's a good, talented player but someone else is pulling the strings.
gunlomboy

Postby funches on Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:56 am

They are holding Davydenko to a higher standard than anyone else, but he put himself in this situation. He is playing a minor tournament the week before defending his title at a Masters Series event. Probably half the players on tour would tank in that situation, but Davydenko does not know how to do it properly.

You don't play well for one set and then fall apart. You play poorly from the start and blame it on an off day.

Davydenko's entire year has been suspicious.
funches

Postby tennisontherocks on Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:30 pm

I just looked H2H of Kolya and Cilic. Cilic beat Kolya easily in Beijing earlier this year. Cilic is young kid with big serve and should do better indoors. Before the betting controversy, we could have labelled this loss as a 'choke', but now everything Kolya does will be looked with suspicion.

Kolya also needs some PR lessons. Earlier this year, he said that 'nobody cares about sydney' after a early loss and gets fined. But many other players who withdrew from events at last minute and issue flowery statements about how much they regret not being there, do not get any penalties.
tennisontherocks

Cash on Delivery

Postby Raphael on Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:15 pm

How does a player get bribed to throw a match?

In other words, what form of payola is provided?

Answer: Cash

The player gets cash as a bribe payment to throw a match.

So maybe the answer is to follow the money?

What does that mean?

It means make the players account for their financial status. They could be required to file financial disclosure forms/statements.

Then a check of their financial holdings could be used to see if they are receiving income beyond what would be expected from legal sources.

Yes, this seems like a lot of red tape to put a pro tennis player through. I'm not sure how you could monitor the criminals who are doing the "bribing". So, if attention is focused on the players who are the "bribees", than perhaps an increased level of visibility could be attained.

Of course, in an ideal world, the players would immediately come forward, and then a "sting" operation could be setup. This of course would put the players in the position of being law enforcement agents, and this would be dangerous to them.

So, I think the financial disclosure of the players might help deter from players receiving illegal income.
Raphael

Postby tennisplayer89 on Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:06 pm

After being fined for tanking his last match, I think that Davydenko's gambling situation doesn't look very good. After being suspected of gambling and then throwing a match, he doesn't look all that innocent.
Need help with your tennis game, then visit <a href="http://www.chattennis.com">www.chattennis.com</a>
tennisplayer89

Still no proof

Postby Raphael on Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:51 pm

Davydenko even though being fined, still has not been proven to have thrown a match.

Maybe Davydenko failed to put out a 100% effort, or maybe he did not have the right stuff the day he was fined. Nobody knows for sure.

To be found to have thrown a match, there would have to be collusion (cooperative agreement) between more than one person or parties. This collusion has yet to be proven.

The only thing that has been proven is that the tennis officials do not have control of their sport.

By fining Davy they are trying to give the appearance that they are taking proactive steps to control a sport that is out of their control. They are offering the public the illusion that they are responsible and are acting responsibly. I don't buy it, and any discriminating viewer or fan would not.
Raphael

Postby gunlomboy on Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:45 am

I agree with almost everything said here.

The ATP clearly do not have control of their sport and fining Davydenko seems like a small knee-jerk reaction to what is clearly a bigger problem.

It is the originator of the bribe/incentive who needs to be tracked down .... but that may not be in the form of cash. The Russian football match fixing investigation concluded that most players had attempted to throw matches due to threats upon their person or families from organized crime syndicates within Russia.

If that is the case, and I hope not, then the ATP is way out of it's depth.
gunlomboy

Elvis was working undercover for the FBI

Postby Raphael on Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:06 am

It has been said that Elvis was working undercover for the FBI.

Who knows, maybe some ATP or WTA players are working undercover for Interpol.

If that be the case, or anything like that be true, then organized crime does not have absolutely free rein over the sport of tennis.

In fact, publicity such as they have been getting, is similar to a bright light being shone upon cockroaches. They just run for cover.

I hope some of these vermin get squashed good!
Raphael

Re: What's up with Davydenko?

Postby fungame on Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:37 am

Personally, I think he tanked it on purpose. Though there were reports of a lingering injuries before the match.
http://tweenerschat.freeforums.org/index.php
TWEENERS CHAT TENNIS FORUM BRAND SPANKIN NEW!!!
fungame

Re: What's up with Davydenko?

Postby consafos on Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:53 pm

^^^

Really, did it take you ten months to come to that conslusion? Oh wait, sorry, it's you again...just wanted to advertise something, eh?
“Call me All-American, but I love Ham and Cheese sandwiches. And not just any old ham and cheese sandwich... My mother's is the best. I've tried many times to make these sandwiches on my own, but it's never the same.” ~ Donk
consafos

Return to ATP