Xtreme Tennis News

Coaching

General tennis talk and discussion

Moderators: mimi, funches, ccm, Kevin, mariam, consafos, srockter, louise, ChrisM

Coaching

Postby louise on Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:00 pm

From a piece by Greg Couch at Fanhouse (which I found searching after I heard about the El Pais interview on a TTC Court Report):

Now, it's so openly accepted and forgiven that he apparently has even admitted to it. The Spanish newspaper El Pais asked him about looking to his coaches box during the final of the U.S. Open, when he beat Novak Djokovic, and Nadal reportedly said this:

"It was in the last game, when I was serving for the match. ... I didn't know where to serve. Down the center, to the middle or to try the classic play of the wide serve and then try to hit the forehand. They told me to serve wide and that's where I served."
louise

Re: Coaching

Postby funches on Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:29 pm

Wertheim dismissed the revelation about Nadal receiving coaching as old news in his latest mailbag. In a sense it is, but this is the first time Rafa openly admitted it.

He should have gotten coaching when he had break points against Garcia-Lopez in Bangkok last night.

In probably the worst job of converting break points in the history of tennis, Nadal converted 2 of 26 in a three-set match. G-L had one, in the the third set, and took it, winning 6-3. That tournament is completely irrelevant in the grand scheme of things, but it was still sweet to wake up and find out the result.
funches

Postby Forehand_lob on Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:25 am

I find Wertheim letting Nadal off the hook for on court coaching to be hypocritical given that he's always lamenting about Henin getting it.

I don't think it would have changed anything, but admitting to getting coaching in the final of the US Open is pretty egregious.
Forehand_lob

Postby funches on Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:36 pm

Forehand_lob wrote:I find Wertheim letting Nadal off the hook for on court coaching to be hypocritical given that he's always lamenting about Henin getting it.

I don't think it would have changed anything, but admitting to getting coaching in the final of the US Open is pretty egregious.

I totally agree with you, and it was uncharacteristic of Wertheim. I don't always agree with his opinions, and some of them are ridiculous (see: Let the players call their own lines!), but he's a straight shooter. Since he has a full time job at Sports Illustrated unrelated to the SI.com tennis site, sometimes I get the feeling he goes too quickly when he scans his mail. He's clearly a smart guy, but he misinterprets a surprisingly high number of questions. He also gets a lot of idiotic mail from fans of Federer or Nadal ripping the other player, so that tends to make him dismissive of criticism.
funches

Postby hellgod on Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:03 am

He's also very vocally (typily?) against on-court coaching on the WTA tournaments, so that is kind of surprising.

I was watching the Beijing WTA matches earlier and noticed that the coaches got to talk to their players during random changeovers now. I thought they were only allowed to go on court at the end of each set... I guess they've expanded the rule.
hellgod

Return to General Discussion