Xtreme Tennis News

2006 Tennis-X Blogging Contest

General tennis talk and discussion

Moderators: mimi, funches, ccm, Kevin, mariam, consafos, srockter, louise, ChrisM

Postby ccm on Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:34 pm

i'm not looking for anything from them, ten-x is. a tough ask, though. good paid writers are hard enough to come by, much less talented writer-slaves.

but in the interests of being more constructive, even though i doubt my op will count for naught, here'd be my scorecard:

pnace: first: get a new handle, dude. some good thought and some good energy, but you make the reader work a little too much with no paragraphing. and try to work a little harder on developing some original phrasing e.g. "chucky" "big babe". . kinda done.

DStern127: first entry: good topic, nice theory, but i'd cut out most of the history lesson and focus on now. style-wise, you could use a bit more colour and less reliance on old-school essay style structure. second entry: kinda lost me there content-wise, but
". . . Rafael Nadal pluck at his clam digger's crannies.
heh, more of that.

setpoint: the topic of roddick's slump has been worked over a little much already. and again, this is more of a general opinion piece than a blog entry. blogs are a commentary on what's now.

CraigP: first entry: nice structure, an easy read. good title. i like that you didn't just focus on one player. if you were going to take it a little further, i'd say try to tighten up your phrasing and rely less on the sports cliches. second entry: good idea, but could use some sharpening.

jaypatrick: ditto, easy to read. some good snark, some good observations. but i'd reach a little more for subject matter.

passingshots: cute idea, if not terribly original. could have used an editor. and i would have liked to see you push the humour a little further.

nlgonsal: sorry, you lost me at
A beautiful amazona. . .
. that just gave me a Richard vibe. no offense, Richard.

and, no, i couldn't do better. way too lazy, way too ill-informed, way too little actual tennis coverage up here.
ccm

Postby CraigP on Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:10 am

I, for one, greatly appreciate all this feedback.

Craig
CraigP

Postby Djablesse on Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:00 am

passingshots wrote:Wait... are you taking about the transcript I posted? You guys do realize that I made the whole thing up, right? There was no highlight show, obviously.

Yet another reason why I shouldn't be allowed out without my coffee. Very entertaining read, though.

I do agree with Kevin's idea.
Djablesse

Postby Kevin on Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:37 pm

Yet another reason why I shouldn't be allowed out without my coffee.

Heh. Yeah, I think they made a similar law in my city because of me.

I do agree with Kevin's idea.

Well thanks. And my idea isn't to be construed as me being against the bloggers. It's just that there's a lot of good content across all the threads. It's easier and faster to find it if you simply skip the posts that aren't readable due to poor grammar and lack of paragraphs.

Hint: I'm sorry people, but we all need filters to save time, and the fastest filter to employ is to simply ask: "Can I easiliy read this?" If the answer is no, most people will skip it.
Kevin

Location: You got soul, you got class, you got style, cuz you're badass

Postby Karlos on Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:00 pm

what would make this interesting would be if all the participants, for at least one week, wrote on the exact same topic. That would separate the Federers from the Fishes
The Chinese Federation on Wimbledon: "Grass Isn't For Chows"
Karlos

Postby tds2711 on Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:42 pm

that would be cool Karlos, except they are all submitting them at different times so they would be able to read each others before writing. Xbot???
tds2711

Postby jamumafa1 on Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:44 pm

"Can I easiliy read this?" If the answer is no, most people will skip it.

Yeah Kevin thats about right for me too. I go onto Tennis Warehouse, see the HUGE posts they write there, and skip it.
"Frank Shields was always half-way to being smashed. Luckily for him, he was so good looking, no body cared" Quote John Haylett
jamumafa1

Postby CraigP on Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:03 pm

I can't speak for the other blog candidates, but I have a new appreciation for how difficult it is to be on "the other side." I've been extremely critical of Bodo, Wertheim, and other tennis writers at times, not to mention on-air commentators. But now, I understand how difficult it is when you're put in the awkward position of telling diehard fans something they don't already know.

In terms of this contest, though, we're SUPPOSED to be amateurs. The pieces shouldn't be perfection. This is an opportunity for us to learn and improve--both as this contest unfolds and, for one lucky soul, in the year to come.

I hope everyone will keep the constructive feedback coming. My appreciation goes out to Tennis-X for giving us this opportunity. I would only ask that we continue to have the chance to hone our skills... And maybe one day, look back on what we submitted here and have a hearty laugh. :)

CraigP
CraigP

Postby tds2711 on Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:46 am

craigp is your nose brown???

HEHE
tds2711

Postby CraigP on Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:04 pm

tds2711 wrote:craigp is your nose brown???

HEHE

LOL! Hardly. I've invested a lot of time and energy in this process and don't want to see it wasted.

CraigP
CraigP

Submission #3

Postby CraigP on Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:11 pm

Instant Replay: Bag This Braindead Policy

During Monday’s match between Andy Roddick and Fernando Verdasco, Mary Carillo unleashed the latest in her long line of on-air rants. The object of her venom—the new challenge system being used for the first time at the NASDAQ-100 in Miami.

The new system allows each player to challenge two calls per set—and a third during each tiebreaker. If players challenge a call and instant replay shows they were correct, the challenge doesn’t count. If players are wrong, they lose one of their challenges.

Carillo did everything but pronounce the new system braindead. Her argument? As fast as the technology is (less than 10 seconds), why not make it available on an unlimited basis? Why put players in the risky position of being unable to challenge a potentially incorrect call—for example, on match point—because they’ve used their challenges?

She’s absolutely right.

Consider the facts:

FACT: On October 14, 2005, the International Tennis Federation announced that Hawk-Eye technology had “met the standards set by a committee comprising representatives of the ITF, ATP and Sony Ericsson WTA Tour for use in reviewing decisions made by on-court officials.â€
CraigP

Postby bruno on Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:30 pm

• Give players an unlimited number of challenges.
• Grant linespersons and chair umpires the freedom to use the technology at will (e.g. when the linesperson’s view is blocked).
• Empower chair umpires to deny a challenge when the call was clearly and undeniably correct, reducing the opportunity for gamesmanship and abuse.

If Hawk-Eye is 100% reliable, why not all too simply give chair umpires unlimited access to the system and sack linespersons!?

OK, humans are cheap...
bruno

Postby louise on Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:44 pm

you need live linespeople for balls that are not microscopically close.

the umpire checking every call would make matches interminable.
louise

Postby bruno on Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:45 pm

Actually, they're not cheap. They work for free.
bruno

Postby Karlos on Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:50 pm

query...does anyone else think Benedicte Tarango would bitch slap ShotSpot/Hawk Eye the way she did Bruno Rebeuh?
The Chinese Federation on Wimbledon: "Grass Isn't For Chows"
Karlos

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion